8th-Grade Promotion Activities
The 8th-grade promotion activities are a celebration and recognition of students who have worked hard to accomplish their academic and citizenship goals to show readiness for high school. To participate, students must meet all criteria below by the special progress report day of May 19, 2020.
June 9, 2020 Ceremony Assignments:
8:00 a.m.-Homebase Mr. Thyne, Mrs. Walford, Mr. Garcia, Mr. Ballesteros, Mrs. Logan, Mr. Pinkham
10:00 a.m.-Homebases of Mrs. Williams, Mr. Eberlin, Mrs. Pershing, Ms. Harper, Mr. Islas
Promotion Participation Criteria:
Grades: Students must earn passing grades in all classes. Students who must take summer session courses to be promoted to the 9th grade are NOT ELIGIBLE to participate in the June ceremony. Students with IEPs must meet or surpass their goals to participate.
- Citizenship: Students must earn a citizenship GPA of 2.0 or higher (calculated from all classes) by two weeks before the end of school. (E- 4 points, G- 3 points, S- 2 points, N- 1 point, U- 0 points)
- No suspensions or independent learning days: Students must not be suspended or have been assigned an independent learning day in the last six weeks of school. Students may appeal their case by completing the following requirements.
- Submit a written letter to the Vice Principal/Team Leader no later than June 2, 2020, at 3:00 p.m. Letter must be signed by a parent/guardian.
- Attend Opportunity School before the June 9th promotion ceremony.
- Complete and present a 5-10 minute presentation on the FALCON way to a group of elementary students. *Supervised by the Vice Principal/Team Leader.
- Discipline Consequences: Students must have served/cleared any owed consequences.
- Attendance: Students may not have more than 30 absences (including suspensions) for the entire school year. An absence is defined as being off-campus for any part of a school day. Independent study contracts or long-term health problems are the exception.
- Non-violence: Students must not engage in fighting for the entire school year. If a student engages in a fight, they can earn the privilege of participating in the promotion ceremony by completing the following requirements.
- Submit a written letter to the Vice Principal/Team Leader no later than June 2, 2020, at 3:00 p.m. Letter must be signed by parent.
- Attend Opportunity School before the June 9th promotion ceremony
- Complete and present a 5-10 minute presentation on the FALCON way to a group of elementary students. *Supervised by Vice Principal/Team Leader
- Exhibition—Students must earn a passing grade on their exhibition.
- Community Service—Students must earn 12 hours of community service: four hours at school, four at home, and four in the community.
Prior to the end of the year, students must clear any fines and return all textbooks to the library.